Post Christmas High ….
Ho ho hoping you had a great Holiday with Family and Friends! I for one offered up my Family, but NO takers ;)
Roast Beast, mashed potatoes, yams, wontons, cookies, fudge, libations, (and that’s just what I had) feeling that post-holiday bloat? 2013 Tournament Season is just around the corner!
1. FUNDRAISER @ THE ROSE BOWL – Tues Jan 1
- Reminder: For those that are signed up for Jan 1st
- Try to exercise the Tournament drinking rule, you know, 1 water per fermented beverage, so that you can celebrate New Year’s Eve to its fullest, but still function New Year’s Day. This is a huge fundraising opportunity for the team, so we need all volunteers present!
- Last 2012 practice is THIS WEEKEND (9a)
- Come on out and enjoy the beautiful CRISP mornings =)
2013 Season starts Saturday January 5th
- That’s right, formal practices start Sat January 5! Mark your calendars…
- That also means the beginning of Attendance and LATE penalties!
- We are still waiting to hear what our 2013 practice times will be, STAY TUNED!
** Fill-out (and keep updated with changes) the poll! Doodle It!
3. 2013 Dues! (and 2012 unpaid dues)
- GREAT NEWS!!! ** No Increase ** Our very successful 2012 fundraising efforts helped cancel out increases in registration and tournament fees, meaning:
- Dues stay at the low 2012 rate of $100 adult, $50 minor (under 18)
- As always, checks payable to Space Dragons, give to Denise, Roger or Robert
- If you need to make installment arrangements, contact captains, we are very flexible!
3a. 2012 Unpaid Dues!
- First-off, we have to say, GREAT JOB with paying your dues and fees in 2012!!! Clap clap clap … Really, the vast majority of unpaid dues for the YEP.
- But, let’s help Denise, our devoted accounting officer, close out the 2012 books so we can focus on a successful 2013! If you are unsure if you owe anything, Captains will be sending you a reminder to help you out, we’re helpful like that ;)
4. Dragon Boat Maintenance –
It’s that time of year again! Time to help the boat maintenance for the 2013 season. We use these boats A LOT so let’s do our part! Here’s how you can help:
· Let captains know of your participation
· Boat maintenance involves approx. 2 hours of sanding the wood parts/trim and some varnishing
5. 2013 Alcan Dragon Boat Festival (VANCOUVER) – Fri Jun 21 – Sun Jun 23
- I know it’s early but this is a B I G D E A L!
- While our regular warm up tournaments, Tempe and Baby LB, are still in play
- Start your plans now for Vancouver. Things to consider:
* Time off: Try to schedule arrival Thu or early Fri to available for a Fri practice in Vancouver!
* Passport: Canada travel requires a passport, it must be valid through Jan 2014(6mo from travel date)
* Travel Costs: Start saving today! One less beer a week is already $200 saved ;)
* Evite: Check out evite and sign up (Yes, Maybe, No) and keep it updated =)
* Questions: Have questions? Need convincing? Ask your favorite vet!
6. CPR Certification for All Steers! – Special Note from Step
RSVP for CPR class on the Evite! ALL year-around steers (practice and tournament) will need to be CPR-certified by June 9th. In your Evite response please include your:
Specify: steer, coach/captain, or paddler.
- $35 Fee will be covered for steers already certified or who will be certified by CPR class date only
- If you are not a steer, feel free to participate in this opportunity, but you will be responsible for the $35 class fee.
7. SCDBC School Painting
- On Saturday, January 19th, the SCDBC is going to use its off-season to give back to the community by working with Compton Initiative to paint a school in Compton. Invite friends and family; the more the merrier! Evite sign ups!
-- Your Captains!!!