Take it Personal …
You don’t have to be singled out by a coach during practice. When you hear the key phrases during practice like “reach it out” or “rotate” or “lengthen” or “timing” take it personal! and make sure you are
- 9:00a both Sat AND Sun
- Attendance is being taken*, Land drills are being run! *Late pushups!
- You are late if your dear Captains deem you late (9:15 by the Captain’s preferred timing device)
- Tempe is coming up fast, Paddlers are you Ready?
** Practice Poll (fill it out and keep it updated with changes)!
1a. SPECIAL BOAT (Early Pre-Tempe Start-up)
- We are all special, then there the “Special Boat” …
- What is the special boat you ask? It’s a 1 hr paddling session before normal practice in an effort to give coaches and steers some paddling time. It also provides a unique opportunity to work on your “issues” in a coaching-rich environment!
- In response to extensive and energetic interest by both paddlers and coaches, the special boat started its 2013 maiden voyage last Sat! While it normally starts up after Tempe races, strong interest inspired coaches to start it up BEFORE Tempe this season on Saturdays only.
- 7:45a Sat before normal practice (8a ON THE WATER)
- Participation is limited to 1 boat and coach availability, individual sessions may be cancelled if participation is too low! Check the blog or FB Fri night after 10p for cancellations
- Interested? Sign up on the poll AND DON’T BE LATE!
** Special Boat Practice Poll Doodle
2. 2013 Dues!
- Dues remain at the low 2012 rate of $100 adult, $50 minor (under 18)
- As always, cash or checks payable to Space Dragons, give to Denise, Marina, Roger or Robert
- Thank You for your early payment! We have already paid out registration fees for SCDBC, Tempe and Vancouver and need to recover those fees so we can pre-register for other upcoming races.
- If you need to make installment arrangements, contact captains, we are very flexible!
2a. 2012 Outstanding Dues/Fees!
- Help us close out the 2012 books and simplify Denise’s accounting burden, we’re almost there!
3. BOAT MAINTENANCE – This Weekend!!!
- Maintenance Sched posted last Sat, Boats 1 & 2 up first!
- Space Dragons need 4 volunteers on Sat and 4 on Sun 9a-11a, possibly a bit later
- Volunteers will receive practice attendance Credit!
- Dress appropriately for sanding and varnishing.
- Bring electric sanders if possible (Orbital sanders preferred)
- Email captains to stake your claim!
4. JERSEY ORDER –
- Traded your jerseys away? Lost them? Need a jersey for your 1st Tempe Races?
- Get your Sexy Space Dragons dye sublimation Jersey!
- Cost: $30 all styles
- Styles: short/long/sleeveless
- Sizes: Men(sm, med, lg, xl) Women(xs, sm, med, lg, xl)
- Don’t know your size? Ask your team mates of similar stature about their jersey preferences =)
- Email captain Robert to order yours!
5. 2013 Tempe (Arizona) – Sat Mar 23 – Sun Mar 24
- Yes, Arizona! Sign up on the evite!
- We are registered to Race!
2 mixed boats (500m, 250m AND 1000m), Genders, Masters
- Remember to update the Evite with hotel and transport info so we can coordinate!
- How do we survive on away races? When were not hosted, we survive on Space Dragon Love! Aka pot-luck! Nothing big, just some healthy snacks you like and bring a little extra to share =) Keep your eye out for a signup sheet!
6. 2013 Alcan Dragon Boat Festival (VANCOUVER) – Fri Jun 21 – Sun Jun 23
- Time is ticking! 31 signed up!
- We have 1.5 boats, let’s make it 2! Sign up!
- While our regular warm up tournaments, Tempe and Baby LB, are still in play
- Start your plans now for Vancouver!
Things to consider:
* Passport: Canada travel requires a passport, it must be valid through Jan 2014(6mo from travel date)
* Time off: Try to schedule arrival Thu or early Fri to available for a Fri practice in Vancouver!
* Travel Costs: Start saving today! One less beer a week is already $200 saved ;)
* Evite: Check out evite and sign up (Yes, Maybe, No) and keep it updated =)
* Questions: Have questions? Need convincing? Ask your favorite vet!
7. CPR Certification for All Steers! – Sat Feb 23rd, 8:30a-12:30p
ATTENTION STEERS: RSVP for CPR class! ALL year-around steers (practice and tournament) will need to be CPR-certified by June 9th. In your Evite response please include your:
Specify: steer, coach/captain, or paddler.
- $35 Fee will be covered for steers already certified (or required to be certified) or who will be certified by CPR class date only
- If you are not a steer, feel free to participate in this opportunity, but you will be responsible for the $35 class fee.
- If any team-covered participant wishes to pay for their certification fee, or wishes to make a $35 tax-deductible donation to the team, do not be shy!
8. Patches and Stickers and Bracelets, OH MY!
- Have you seen your teammates sporting those slick Space Dragons Patches, Stickers and Bracelets, and been wondering where you can get some of that Bling for yourself?
* Patches: $2.00 see Marina
* Stickers: $2.50 see Pearl
* Bracelets: $2.00 see Emily
9. LADIES NIGHT!!!
- And guess what? Our very own Karen Chan is having a baby!
- You're invited to join us to congratulate Karen as she starts her new chapter into motherhood.
- Baby shower gifts are optional. If you are interested in getting something for Karen, then please remember to check the FB event page. We will update with Karen's baby registry information at a later date.
- Hope you can attend! It would be great to see all your beautiful faces! ♥♥♥
- This event is located at Marina's house. Potluck style.
-- Your Captains